8th Floor, Nexxus Building, 41 Connaught Road Central,
Steven is a commercial dispute resolution lawyer with over 20 years’ experience (over 15 in Hong Kong) specialising in shipping, marine insurance and international trade litigation and arbitration. He advises clients on a full range of contractual and tortious disputes, in particular disputes arising out of charterparties, bills of lading, sale and purchase contacts and insurance policies. Steven acts for shipowners, operators, charterers, commodity traders, banks, cargo interests, port and terminal operators, brokers and other intermediaries.
Steven also advises property, trade credit, liability and legal expenses insurers including International Group and fixed-premium P&I Clubs, as well as commercial underwriters. In the corporate field, he has substantial experience of shareholder disputes and insolvency proceedings, acting for creditors and liquidators. Steven acts for clients across the Asia Pacific region, in particular Hong Kong, Mainland China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore. He handles cases in the Hong Kong Courts, in regional and international arbitrations, and also represents clients in mediations.
- Chinese charterers in relation to the successful defence of a claim for provision of security under the NYPE Inter-Club Agreement (reported as London Arbitration 18/18 – LMLN 1010).
- Singaporean charterers in successfully pursuing a claim in London arbitration for breach of a vessel’s cargo capacity warranty.
- A major Chinese conglomerate in a joint venture dispute regarding a Hong Kong ship operating company, including successfully obtaining and resisting injunctions, enforcing directors’ rights and defending arbitration proceedings brought by a minority shareholder.
- Insurers of a major port and terminal operator on a series of recoveries against shipowners arising out of allisions with berths and shore cranes in several different jurisdictions.
- Japanese shipowners on a charterparty dispute regarding oil major approvals.
- The liquidators of a shipping company on the restructuring of a complicated chain of charterparties and unravelling a joint venture.
- Greek shipowners in relation to disputes arising out of the disappearance of a fully laden bulk carrier.
- A tanker pool operator in relation to a dispute between two sovereign states over the ownership of an oil cargo.
- Korean charterers in successfully defending an unsafe port claim.
- ING Bank on numerous claims arising out of the OW Bunker insolvency.
1995 – BA (Jurisprudence), University College, Oxford
Chairman, Transportation and Logistics Committee, The Law Society of Hong Kong
Member, Examination Committee, Hong Kong Society of Notaries
Member, Executive Committee, Hong Kong Maritime Law Association
Member, Supporting Members Liaison Committee (Asia Pacific), London Maritime Arbitrators Association
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Fellow, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators
Member, Hong Kong Maritime Arbitration Group
Panel Arbitrator, Emirates Maritime Arbitration Centre